Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hello from down south! I guess I’ve been pretty lazy lately about keeping up with my blog… time just keeps getting away from me! Things have definitely slowed down since school ended, but I manage to keep busy. I celebrated All Saints’ Day/ Dia de Los Muertos with the family. November 1st is a big holiday for them, and everyone in town goes to the cemetery to be with their loved ones who have passed away. The day before, they decorate the graves with flowers and adornments and then on Nov. 1st everyone hangs out in the cemetery flying kites, eating, drinking, and celebrating the lives of those who have died.  It is a really neat tradition, and the cemetery looks beautiful with all the flowers and wreaths. One of my favorite aspects of this culture is that they do everything as a family. I think sometimes we take our families for granted and people in the U.S. can go weeks or months without seeing each other or talking to each other, but here everything is done together as a family, and family comes first above all else…. And I really admire that!
I started my girls’ group. We meet every Monday and Wednesday. On Mondays we just hang out and have fun and play basketball, and on Wednesdays we have class. About 10 girls have been showing up which is good because I would much rather have a small group than a large one. It is definitely a slow start and a real challenge, but I think over time it will get more enjoyable and more comfortable. The girls are really shy and not used to being in a group where we have discussions and activities, and they’re not quite ready to open up yet. The purpose of the group is to talk about subjects that they don’t learn in school like self-esteem, life skills, gender roles, decision making, communication, family planning, and goal setting. Most of them have never in their lives thought about any of those topics, so sometimes I just feel like the crazy gringa talking about random things…. And more often than not they just sit there and stare at me. But if they keep coming back that means they’re either learning at least something or are interested in what we’re doing. Vamos a ver (we will see)! I think once they feel more comfortable, they will really end up benefiting from the classes.
Most girls here think that there is only one path in life… get married, have kids, serve their husbands, and work in the house and kitchen. I want to help them realize that every single one of them has the right to choose what they do with their lives and that there is not just one path in life. I’m hoping to help them think outside the lines and choose a different way for their lives. Last week I did an activity with them where they had to answer questions with drawings. For example, one of the questions was “What is your biggest dream or aspiration?” and they had to draw a picture or write a word to answer that question. They had no idea what to do because most of them do not think about their futures. They don’t know what other opportunities are out there for them, when really the possibilities are endless. So my hope is to open their minds a little bit and to motivate them to set goals like finish school or get a job, and to make their own decisions instead of following the path that their culture or society has laid out for them. Little by little! Tomorrow the theme is self-esteem which I think they will really like, so I hope it goes well!
This past weekend I made a trip back to Parramos to visit my old host family. It was one of the daughter’s 15th birthday or quinceañera which is like a sweet sixteen party. 15 is when they officially become a woman. So I spent Saturday with the family and went to the birthday party Saturday night. Lots of music and dancing and a lot of fun! Susie and her family are doing well and it was good to see them again. Sunday I went to Antigua just to spend some time away from site and relax a little bit, but then headed back to Cajolá bright and early Monday morning. I always miss Suki so much when I’m gone, so I wanted to get back to him J.
I feel like I’m kind of in a slump right now with no school and then thinking about going to Florida for Christmas. It’s hard to get things going and some days I have absolutely nothing to do so it drives you a little crazy…. But I’ll be back in the states before I know it! Next week some friends and I are taking a trip to Livingston/Rio Dulce for Thanksgiving. On the 26th there is a big festival celebrating the Garifuna culture. Livingston is the only place in Guatemala that has Garifuna culture, whereas the rest of the country is Mayan. Livingston and Rio Dulce are supposed to be beautiful with a Caribbean feel so I’m excited to be near a beach and just relax for a few days and see another part of Guatemala! Rough life I live J.
Not much other news here in Guatemala. Just trying to keep myself busy, and I feel like I’m at a point in my service where the novelty has worn off and most people know me so I need to start digging deeper to find ways to fill my time. I’m currently trying to start a women’s’ group, I’ve been cleaning up my garden a little, and of course there are always great books to read! Or maybe I’ll pick up a new hobby J Not sure what but there are plenty of options out there! Even though sometimes I’m so bored I could scream, I still absolutely love it here and would not trade it for anything. Adios until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment