Hey everyone! Remember me? No worries I am still alive and well! I have a lot to catch you guys up on so here it goes…
My brother Ben came to visit in early March… my first visitor since my parents came last July. It was quite a different experience because when my parents came I had just moved into my house and knew nothing about my town much less traveling around Guatemala. But this time I was like a little tour guide! Ben and I had a lot of fun and some crazy adventures including climbing Volcán de Agua (right outside of Antigua) with 2 armed guards and a guide. It was definitely something we will never forget, but something we will probably never do again. It was a hard hike and we “camped” at the top or more like stayed in a little cement room with 4 strangers… but the sunrise in the morning and the view on the way down was incredible and made it all worth it.
Then we came to Cajolá and Ben got to meet Suki and the family and got to see me in action giving a talk to parents in one of my schools while wearing traditional Guatemalan dress (traje). It was so fun to share my life with him and for him to see where I live and the people I interact with every day. We also played basketball and soccer with my girls group and they absolutely loved it. Ben got to kill a chicken, and then we had dinner with the family, and of course all the daughters were asking me for his hand in marriage J. After Cajolá we went to Lago Atitlán for a day to relax a little bit. No matter how many times I go to the lake it never seizes to amaze me. We rented kayaks one morning and took our own little kayak tour of the lake just trying to soak in all its beauty. The trip was more like a whirlwind because there are so many things to do and see here that a week is barely enough time but we definitely made the best of it and I was ready take a day’s rest after he left.
But the fun didn’t stop there because Ben left on Saturday and my friends Ian and Amanda arrived on Sunday. We spent Sunday in Antigua just walking around seeing the city, and then Monday we came to Cajolá to see my house and meet Suki of courseJ. We only spent a day in my site which was enough seeing as though Ian couldn’t fit through the doorways nor fit in my shower! But he got to kill a chicken as well which is I guess turning into a tradition when people come to visit. After being in Cajolá we went to the lake for a couple days. It was nice to have more time at the lake and explore a little bit more. We got to visit a few towns surrounding the lake, and we went zip lining where we could see the whole lake! It was amazing!! We visited the market in Panajachel and of course I had to show off my bargaining skills so we got some good deals J We had such a great time meeting new people and having so many adventures. It means a lot to me that they were willing to visit me here in Guatemala…. That’s what I call true friends! Living/traveling in Guatemala is not always easy especially when the camioneta (bus) is going a 100mph around curves on a mountain, and they were such troopers! I am grateful for them and the time we spent together here!
Work in my schools has been slow but I live for my girls’ group and my kids’ group! A couple weeks ago I was in Antigua and got stuck because of Easter-related festivities and couldn’t make it back in time for my kids’ group. When I got back my neighbors told me that the kids were waiting outside my house for an hour and when I didn’t show up some of them started to cry. When I heard that I felt so bad because I never really thought that coming to my house on Saturday mornings meant that much to them. Boy was I wrong! I felt so bad that I had them come over that Wednesday, and we played Bingo with pictures of clothes which I would say in English and then Spanish and the winners got prizes, (sunglasses, bouncy balls, stickers, rings, and pencils) and I made them chocolate and vanilla cake. I was so worried that I had let them down but one of the girls (Nim-Chew) told me that they could not possibly be mad at me because they loved me and they loved coming to my house and spending time with me. It was in this moment that I realized that sometimes we have a bigger impact on this world than we realize.
I thought I had nothing to offer these kids but when they came to my house that day I realized I have everything to offer these kids. When I’m with them they can’t stop smiling. They constantly ask me questions…. and I have answers such as where is Michigan or Los Angeles? Because that’s where they have family members, or why is your hair yellow and mine is black… and that’s when I explain to them that I come from a different country and that there are many different people from all over the world and we all look different . They are open to learning and are curious beyond belief. They value my friendship and my wisdom which is something I have never experienced. Last Saturday we decorated hard boiled eggs in honor of Easter. I explained to them that in the United States we decorate eggs during Easter, and we had such a blast!!! Not only was I sharing one of my traditions with them (which is one of the 3 Peace Corps Goals) I was encouraging the kids to be creative and have fun, which in life sometimes that’s all you need…. a little fun. Most of the kids here are not given the opportunity to be kids and enjoy their childhood. I can remember playing street hockey with my brothers or hide and seek with the neighborhood kids. But here the kids aren’t able to enjoy their youth because they are forced to work in the fields, or sell in the market, or clean and take care of the house, or get married at a young age. That’s not what life is all about! Life is about doing what you love and enjoying every moment, and I realized that’s why the kids love coming to my house. For 2 hours a week they get to enjoy themselves… they get to be kids and maybe in the meantime they learn a thing or two J
My main work here is to improve health education and healthy habits in the schools. And although I feel like I haven’t made any progress…. I have. After I gave a presentation in early March (when my brother Ben was visiting) to the parents of my largest school of 1,200 students, the parents donated enough money to build 16 faucets in the school. Before they only had 2 faucets for 1,200 children to wash their hands and brush their teeth. Now they have 18 faucets, and I have never been so proud J Although my work is slow, and I may not see immediate results, I know that somehow, in some form, I am making a difference here. Whether it be bringing a smile to a kid’s face, teaching a 5 year old boy to brush his teeth with the giant teeth model my grandpa gave me, or teaching young girls that they are worth something… I know that I am here being God’s hands and feet, little by little making an impact in the place that I currently call home… Cajolá.
No comments:
Post a Comment