Friday, December 31, 2010

5 days until Guatemala!

Hey everyone! I'm excited to be starting my first blog ever so that people can see what I'm up to in Guate. I officially leave in 5 days, and I couldn't be more excited/nervous to embark on this new adventure.

I have been running around trying to get everything that I think I might need while I'm down there... everything from plug converters to quick drying towels to super strength bug spray. Keep in mind that I'm only allowed 2 duffels with a combined weight limit of 80 lbs so this whole packing thing is proving to be pretty difficult. Current volunteers have reassured the new trainees that we can find almost anything we need down there so their advice is to bring things that you can't get down there like pictures of family and friends and other comfort items.... which for me would be a 2 year supply of Cheezits :)

The fact that I'm leaving the U.S. for 2 years to live in a foreign country away from friends and family still seems like a dream, but I know it will become reality before I know it! It's been hard thinking that I have to leave everything behind but I know that an amazing and life changing experience lies ahead of me and that far outweighs any doubts that I have. 

So on Tuesday (Jan. 4) I'll be heading to D.C. along with 55 other trainees for a one day orientation and introduction to the Peace Corps. We head to Guatemala bright and early on the 5th and land in Guatemala City.... let the adventures begin! 

3 comments:

  1. Nice first post! Looking forward to reading the blog over the next two years. Don't worry about packing the Cheezits, I'll send some to you in every care package (and by me I mean Mom).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie we are saving up Cheezits already!

    ReplyDelete